Prof. Dr Patrice BOURSIER
University of La Rochelle (ULR) – France
Born February 3rd, 1954 in Amboise (France).
PhD in Computer Science from University Pierre et Marie Curie (Paris 6, France) in 1981.
Qualification for Professorship from the University of Paris-Sud Orsay (Paris 11, France) and national accreditation in 1996.
* According to world rankings, Paris 6 and Paris 11 are considered the two best scientific universities in France.
Professional address in France: University of La Rochelle (ULR) – Faculty of Science and Technology – Avenue Michel Crépeau – 17042 La Rochelle Cedex.
Phone: +335 4645 8262 ; +335 4645 8728 (DL) – Fax: +335 4645 8242.
Professional address in Malaysia: University of Malaya (UM) – Department of Computer Science – 50603 Kuala Lumpur.
Mobile Phone: +60 1 9333 1991.
- Associate Professor at the University of Paris-South (Paris 11, Orsay) from December 1984 until August 1997. Full Professor in Computer Science at ULR since September 1997. First Class Professor since 2003.
- Deputy Director of the Computer Science and Image Research Laboratory (L3i) from 1999 until 2002.
- Adviser to the President of ULR for Information Technologies and E-learning from 1999 until 2002.
- Director of “Institut du Désir d’Enseigner et d’Apprendre” (IDEA, E-learning Institute and Research Center) from 2000 until 2002.
I have been posted full time in Malaysia from 2002 till 2005 for the development of higher education, e-learning and research programs in Asia for ULR.
Since 2005, I am working part time in France and part time in Malaysia and South East Asia for developing international cooperation projects in research and education.
Establishment of international collaborations between ULR and some public and private universities in South-East Asia, and particularly in Malaysia.
I have initiated and participated to the preparation of exchange programs with ULR (teaching and research) since 1998.
I have been working (full time until 2005, and part time since 2005) in Malaysia for the implementation of Masters Programs from ULR, in collaboration with Malaysian universities, and for developing joint research projects and PhDs with universities in South-East Asia.
I have been working as a Visiting Professor at University Philippines Diliman from mid June till mid September 2009, within the Department of Computer Science.
Teaching activities and responsibilities
Project Management, Databases (basic and advanced), Operating Systems, Algorithms and Data Structures, Programming, Multimedia Systems, Web Design, Web Technologies, Web Programming, Artificial Intelligence.
University of La Rochelle
- Creation of the Master Programme in “Information Technology”, and responsible from September 1998 till September 2000.
- Creation of the Master Programme in “Project Management”, and responsible from September 2000 till 2002.
- Creation of the Bachelor Programme in “Creative Multimedia”, and co-responsible from September 2000 till 2002.
- Participation to the creation of the Master Programme in “Video Games and Interactive Media” (October 2001).
- Participation to the creation of the Bachelor Programme in “Geographic Information Systems” (October 2001).
Open University Malaysia (OUM)
Under an agreement signed in 2004 between ULR and OUM, students who enroll in OUM’s Master Program in Information Technology can also enroll in ULR’s Master Conversion Program in IT. They receive both degrees. The program has been terminated in 2010.
University of Kuala Lumpur (UniKL)
Under an agreement signed in 2005 between ULR and UniKL, Malaysian (and other) students can enroll into ULR’s Research Master Program in Computer Science delivered at UniKL. I am in charge of the implementation of the Program in Malaysia for ULR. The program has been terminated in 2010.
My research activities concern mobile and web based GIS, semantic based multisource data integration and multimedia document indexing and retrieval
Research activities in France
I have supervised 4 PhDs on these subjects at the University of Paris-Sud, and 8 at ULR.
I have participated to 14 PhD juries (I have been reviewer 11 times), and 3 presentations for full professor (3 reviews) while I was in France (until August 2002).
I have been Deputy Director of the Computer Science and Image Research Laboratory (L3i) from 1999 until 2002.
Research activities in Malaysia
I currently have two ongoing PhDs in Malaysia, one with Open University Malaysia, and another one with the University of Kuala Lumpur (UniKL). Two PhD students have presented their research work (PhD Viva) in July and September 2008. Three others have registered in 2009 for Joint PhDs with ULR.
I am participating as a Scientific Adviser to the creation of a research laboratory within UniKL. Two research programs have been signed between UniKL, ULR and the Malaysian Palm Oil Board (MPOB).
An ICT-ASIA project has been approved in 2007, which involves ULR and UniKL, along with some other universities in France and Vietnam.
Other past activities in France
- Expert for the French Space Agency (CNES), the Ministry of Finances, the Ministry of Equipment, Transports and Tourism.
- Scientific manager of the European project MAGIC TOUR (ESPRIT, 1994-97) at LRI (Univ. Paris-Sud, Orsay).
- Scientific manager of the European projects MAGIC TOUR NET (INCO-DC, 1998-99) and SOCRATES-MINERVA (2001-2003) at L3i (Univ. of La Rochelle).
- Member of the French council on geographical information (CNIG, Conseil National de l'Information Géographique), nominated in 1993 as a scientific expert, renewed in 1996. President of the commission on the "Quality of Geographic Information".
- Member of program committees and editorial boards of conferences (ACM Conference on Advances in Geographic Information Systems, Spatial Data Handling Conference, Web GIS Conference).
- Director of the Geomatics books collection for HERMES Science Publisher. Member of the editorial board of GeoInformatica (Kluwer).
I have also been in charge of the French and Asian partners within the ESP@DON project, a "digital campus" project that has been funded by the French Ministries of Research and Education. In the framework of this project, digital contents have been produced for Bachelor and Master Programmes in IT, mostly in French.
Selected recent publications
Follin J.M., Bouju A., Bertrand F., Boursier P. “Multi-resolution extension for transmission of geodata in a mobile context”. Computers and Geosciences. Special issue on Geospatial Research in Europe: Agile 2003. 2004 31(2), p 179-188.
N. Hashim, H.T. Ewe, N. Zakaria, P. Boursier, J.M. Ogier , “Structural Analysis on Ground Level Image of Man-Made Objects Using Fuzzy Spatial Descriptor”, MMU International Symposium on Information and Communications Technologies (M2USIC), Petaling Jaya, Malaysia, November 2006.
Najib Salleh, P. Boursier. “Method of Constructing Decision Tree with Unknown Values”. International Conference on BioMathematics 2007 (ICOBM07), Bandung, Indonesia, August 2007.
N. Hashim, H. T. Ewe & P. Boursier. “Combining Local Binary Pattern and Edge Orientation for Shape Based Image Retrieval”. International Workshop on Advanced Image Technology 2008 (IWAIT 2008), Hsinchu, Taiwan, January 2008.
N. Hashim, H. T. Ewe & P. Boursier. “Spatial Neighboring Histogram for Shape Based Image Retrieval”. International Conference on Computer Vision Theory and Application (VISAPP 2008), Funchal, Madeira, Portugal, January 2008.
Tengku Mohd Azahar, P. Boursier, Idris Abu Seman. “Spatial and Hotspots Analysis of Basal Stem Rot Disease in Oil Palm Plantation: An Analysis on Peat Soil”. 8th Annual Asian International Conference and Exhibition on Geospatial Information, Technology and Applications, Singapore, 18-20 August 2009.
Jawahir Che Mustapha, P. Boursier, Mazliham Mohd Su’ud. “First Approach to Applying JDL Fusion Model in Natural Disaster Management”. 2nd International Conference on Engineering Technology, Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia), 8-10 December 2009.
SM Wong, JY Lafaye, P. Boursier. “Developing PMIS for Business Projects based on Social Science Research Findings and Ontology Modelling”. IADIS International Conference Information Systems, Porto, Portugal, 18-20 March 2010.
Muhammad Mansoor Alam, Mazliham Mohd Su’ud, Patrice Boursier, Shahrulniza Musa, Jawahir Che Mustapha Yusuf. “Predicted and Corrected Location Estimation of Mobile Nodes Based on the Combination of Kalman Filter and the Bayesian Decision Theory”. International Workshop on Mobile and Location-based Business Applications (MAPPS2010), Chicago, USA, June 30 – July 2, 2010. Publisher: Springer Link (LNICST).
Muhammad. A, Mazliham M.S, Patrice Boursier, Shahrulniza. M, Jawahir Che Mustapha Yusuf, “Terrain/Clutter Based Error Calculation in Location Estimation of Wireless Nodes by using Receive Signal Strength”. 2nd International Conference on Computer Technology and Development (ICCTD 2010). Cairo, Egypt, November 2-4, 2010.